Everyone definitely have had a significant First. Here’s one of my favourite Firsts. I was feeling adventurous and made a decision to attempt baking a cake obamaself! Well okay, I technically didn’t ‘bake’ it, because this recipe didn’t require baking at all! 🙂
This is something I’ve been wanting to do since a very long time, when I discovered a healthier alternative to conventional cheesecakes out there! Cheesecakes are gooood. Very good. Full of fat. Sugar. Cream. Dairy. Refined flour. Unknown flavoring agents and colours. Perfect helpers if you wanna put on extra weight, have your blood sugar level spiked and your face covered with acne. That was my problem, you see.
Until… Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake came by.
Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake!
1 1/2 cups of raw almonds
2 1/2 cups of pitted Medjool dates
2 cups cashew (soaked)
2 frozen ripe bananas
1/2 key lime
1 tsp cinnamon
2-3 tbs honey
1 cup of strawberries
1 frozen banana
4 pitted Medjool dates
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs honey
Makes 12 slices.
1. In a high speed blender/food processor, blend raw almonds until they’re finely crushed. Add in chopped pitted dates after and blend again, starting from low speed and gradually increase the speed. You may need to stop occasionally and scrap the sides of your blender/food processor.
2. When they are finely mixed, grab the sticky dough and press it into the base of the cake tin. Then set aside and freeze it.
3. Blend all ingredients for cheesecake filling from low to high speed until smooth.
4. Take the cake tin out of the freezer and pour cheesecake filling onto the base. Smooth the top with a spoon, and freeze it again for around half an hour to set.
5. Slice 5-6 fresh strawberries and put them on top of the cheesecake filling. [Optional]
6. Blend all ingredients for strawberry filling and pour it on top of cheesecake filling, smooth it out with a spoon and freeze it for about 3 hours.
7. Before serving, remove the cake from freezer and allow it to warm up for at least 10 minutes.
1. Press sticky dough into the base of the cake tin. I’m using a 9-inch cake tin.
2. Pour cheesecake filling on top.
3. Add fresh strawberry slices.
4. Pour strawberry filling on top.
If you realized, there were no yogurt, cheese or milk added in, making this completely dairy-free (people with lactose intolerance or milk allergy can now enjoy cheesecakes too!) The cheese layer is made up of a smooth blend of cashew and other natural ingredients which produces a smooth and soft texture. Unlike cheese, this is light and satisfying.
Decorate the cake with more fresh berries and you’ll get…
The end product! 🙂
A better view of the 3 firm layers.
It is highly recommended to use a food processor instead of a normal blender. I made my base with a normal blender and the dates weren’t blended properly with the crushed almonds due to its stickiness. I had to manually mash the dates and mix them with my hands (which took me quite some time). Also, using a springform cake tin makes cutting much easier.
Spot the Pacman! 😀
This is especially convenient for students who stay in dorms or do not have access to oven. It can be stored for up to 2 weeks (any more than that, I’d probably discard!) for a quick fix after dinner or when you’re craving for something cold and creamy hence making it a good substitute for ice cream or even ice cream cakes (they tend to be quite pricey!)
See an Angry Bird?
It’s never a bad idea to make your own meals. You may think it’s time consuming at first, but once you get the hold of it, preparation time will be shorter and you’ll feel happier! You are in control of your own ingredients. Nourish your body with the right food and drinks to get to where you want to be.
All in all, it’s a good treat. As this recipe has high nuts content, calories may be higher than what you expected from a ‘healthy treat’. However, the calories come from various raw ingredients that fuel you, keeping you full without the bloat. Plus, almonds and cashews are packed with vitamin E, bananas are high in potassium, while fresh berries are the main source of antioxidants! The best part is, this is completely vegan, sugar and dairy-free.